Monday, June 30, 2008

Gandalf and Saruman Recite the Creed!

In Quenyan, no less! You can listen to it here.

Sorry about that, folks, I couldn't resist. Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee were not really impersonating BXVI and Bartholomew, it just sounds like they are. Actually, it's the real thing: the real Pope and the real Patriarch, reciting the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed in Greek, not Quenyan, and it is a marvelous thing to hear. Using the original text avoids that whole Filioque thingy.

Thanks to Fr. Kimel for the link.

4 comments:

Foxfier said...

....I love this.

(and I also love that you noticed the similarity in sound to Tolkien's language!)

Vitae Scrutator said...

So, you probably already know about the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship, then!

Foxfier said...

Oooh...no, I did not!

I am adding it to my few blog-links, though.

Anonymous said...

Very funny, but surely not as funny as the post I am seeking to elicit by tagging you with this blog meme. I apologize if this is irritating.

Homily for Requiem Mass of Michael Carson, 20 November 2021

  Readings OT: Wisdom 3:1-6, 9 [2, short form] Ps: 25 [2] NT: Romans 8:31b-35, 37-39 [6] Alleluia verse: John 6:39 [...