Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Irish Psalter Found in Bog

The BBC website has a story today about a 1200 year old Psalter found in a bog in the south Midlands. The Latin text of the Psalter is fairly well established, so the discovery is not important from the point of view of textual criticism; but in the words of Dr. Pat Wallace, director of the National Museum of Ireland:
It testifies to the incredible richness of the Early Christian civilisation of this island and to the greatness of ancient Ireland.
If, like me, you're tired of the constant association in the popular mind of Celtic civilization with paganism, this will serve as a salutary reminder that Celtic Christianity is one of the gems of our tradition.

2 comments:

Paul Halsall said...

My God, Scott. This is heresy. The Irish did not save civilisation, Byzantium did.

Btw, "Carson" is probably the most honored name in Ulster Unionist history. How did you end up with it?

Vitae Scrutator said...

Don't try to pull that Byzantium-saved-civilization stuff on me, Paul--I read Baudolino, you know!

I'm afraid I didn't pick "Carson" as my cognomen, but if I had, I probably would have emphasized the Scotish Catholic roots....

My father's side of the family is very Protestant. In fact, up until my grandfather, the Carson men were, in general, Presbyterian ministers, going back to the 16th century or whenever Presbyterianism was invented. I feel certain that the whole pack of them are spinning in their graves even now every time I finger those beads and manifest other signs of popish superstition.

Homily for Requiem Mass of Michael Carson, 20 November 2021

  Readings OT: Wisdom 3:1-6, 9 [2, short form] Ps: 25 [2] NT: Romans 8:31b-35, 37-39 [6] Alleluia verse: John 6:39 [...