Monday, July 24, 2006

James L. P. Butrica, R. I. P.

I learned today of the passing of James Butrica, a professor of classics at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Educated at Amherst and the University of Toronto, he specialized in Latin and Greek elegiac poetry, and Latin paleography and textual criticism. I did not know him personally, but he was a frequent contributor to an online classics discussion forum, where his was one of only a very few consistently intelligent voices. I did not agree with all of his views, but I was always impressed by his measured wit and seemingly infinite capacity for respectful dialogue. I have no idea whether he was a religious person, but I pray that God's grace will not be lost on a man who was himself so very graceful.

1 comment:

Ron said...

Dr. Carson:

I have only just found this post and wanted to say that I was a friend of Jim's from the early 1980's until the late 90's. I only heard about his death a month after it ocurred. Jim was an impressive academic and had a keen mind although his approach to interpersonal interaction might have been described as irascible. Jim was not a man to suffer fools gladly. However he was always patient and kind with his students and encouraged them to take a creative approach to their studies in the Classics.

Thanks for this posting.

Ron

Homily for Requiem Mass of Michael Carson, 20 November 2021

  Readings OT: Wisdom 3:1-6, 9 [2, short form] Ps: 25 [2] NT: Romans 8:31b-35, 37-39 [6] Alleluia verse: John 6:39 [...