Friday, September 16, 2005

Fraternae concordiae iucunditas

This one is for Jennifer at Wayward Catholic. I hope she won't mind that I changed one word, since I changed it for her!

Ecce quam bonum et quam iucundum *
   habitare sorores in unum:
sicut unguentum optimum in capite, +
   quod descendit in barbam, barbam Aaron, *
   quod descendit in oram vestimenti eius;
sicut ros Hermon, *
   qui descendit in montes Sion,
quoniam illic mandavit Dominus benedictionem, *
   vitam usque in saeculum.

Pax tecum, Jennifer!

3 comments:

jennstall said...

Thank you! Now you must translate it for me :)

Vitae Scrutator said...

Hi Jennifer!

It's the New Vulgate version of Psalm 132 (133):

Behold, how good and joyful a thing it is, brethren (but I changed that to "sisters", in honor of your discernment process), to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious ointment upon the head, than ran down unto the beard, even unto Aaron's beard, and went down to the skirts of his clothing. Like as the dew of Hermon, which fell upon the hill of Sion. For there the Lord promised his blessing, and life for evermore.

jennstall said...

This is the first time I've been online since I posted my question to you and I'm amazed by that psalm. Today at Mass I had this image, this feeling, ever so brief, of oil being poured on my head by someone and then it running down my hair & face.

Thank you so much for posting this for me and for translating it :)

Homily for Requiem Mass of Michael Carson, 20 November 2021

  Readings OT: Wisdom 3:1-6, 9 [2, short form] Ps: 25 [2] NT: Romans 8:31b-35, 37-39 [6] Alleluia verse: John 6:39 [...